After recovering from a severe cold and a week of homemade soup, I was craving for something refreshing and light.
There were still fresh berries at the market this weekend. I picked up a pint of raspberries, blueberries and blackberries each. Herbs were a dollar a bunch: mint, parsley, thyme, rosemary, basil. Looking at my gatherings, a light bulb went on! I decided to make a salad with my fresh berries!
Eats: Triple Berry Mint Salad
Makes 2 serving
- 2 cups mixed baby spinach, red and green Swiss chard, baby arugula
- half thinly sliced red onion (I like to rinse and spin-dry them with water to take out the sharp edge of the red onion)
- 1 pint mixed raspberries, blueberries and blackberries
- 1 handful of thinly sliced fresh mint (about 10 leaves)
- 1 ripe avocado
- half a cup baby crimini mushroom
Dressing, I like to make my own version of balsamic vinaigrette:
- 3 parts extra-virgin olive oil to 1 part balsamic vinegar
- minced garlic to taste
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- Toss the leafy veggies in a big bowl
- Add the mushroom, avocado, red onion
- Add the triple berries
- Add chopped mint
- For the vinaigrette: whisk to emulsify olive oil with vinegar, add minced garlic to taste, and a pinch of salt and pepper to taste
The salad was flavorful with the sweet and tart berries; the peppery taste of the arugula; the refreshing mint; and the richness of the avocado. You can add a sprinkle of sliced almond for crunch.
Hope you find this recipe useful. Enjoy!